In the proposed article, you will learn what to do if the laptop is very noisy, which is why not only the comfort of work is reduced, but also there is an alarming feeling that something is wrong with the computer. It lists all the possible reasons why the laptop cooler starts to rotate more actively, their signs and possible solutions to the sources of the problem.
Tip. Under the concept of "noise" hides the increased noise emission of the fan cooling the central processor. Hard disk noise is not considered.
If the device is several years from the date of purchase, and its operation is accompanied by increased generation of noise that occurs as a result of accelerated rotation of the cooler, this is an occasion to think about it.
During continuous operation under heavy load, increased fan speeds are the norm. The processor processes large amounts of data (three-dimensional games), which is why it heats up more, and so that it does not overheat, the system automatically increases the fan speed. By the way, if you encounter the “cpu fan error” problem, we have separate material for solving it.
So if you watch movies in high quality or play games, the appearance of strong noise is partly the norm, especially after several hours of operation of the device. Another thing is when the problem appears immediately or a few minutes after starting the device.
Table of Contents
Is cooler high volume bad?
In addition to the feeling of discomfort and thoughts that something is wrong with the laptop, the increased noise from the cooling fan of the central processor is a sign of a fair amount of heating or overheating of the CPU.
And the functioning of any components at elevated temperatures, for work at which they are not created or designed for a short stay in such conditions, causes their faster wear. And this is at best. At worst, the computing device will simply overheat and fail.
In modern laptops, a PC protection mechanism from such cases is introduced – when the critical temperature is reached, the device simply turns off in emergency mode.
Reasons for the strong hum of the fan
In fact, a single source of the problem is the increased operating temperature of the CPU. And the root causes of its overheating can be many. The main one is the clogging of the heat-removing metal pipes (radiator) with dust and other small particles (pile, hair, wool).
Due to the fact that the airways through which the air passes are partially blocked by foreign objects (let’s call dust and other small debris like this), the hot air discharged from the central processor partially dissipates, hitting the radiator grid.
There are several solutions to the problems:
- increased cooler speed;
- purging or cleaning the cooling system;
- thermal paste replacement, lubrication and / or fan replacement.
How to solve the problem in the case of each of the options will be discussed below.
Signs that high noise is the culprit
In principle, the increased temperature of the processor is the main culprit in noise. And there are several obvious and indirect confirmations to this.
- Applications displaying data from computer sensors – SpeedFan, HWMonitor. In them you can find out the current and maximum temperature recorded during the application’s activity and compare it with the data on the processor operating modes on the website of its manufacturer.
- The noise appears after some time after starting the game or playing a movie (performing another resource-intensive task).
- A very hot case in the area of the CPU and the outlet of the hot air stream from it.
- The device runs slower, freezes, slows down, and sometimes it automatically turns off or restarts.
Change the fan speed
Consider what to do if the laptop is very noisy in cases of processing large amounts of information, for example, converting video, packing / unpacking something, installing or working games, watching movies in HD, and the like.
This is done both through UEFI (in some old BIOSs, a similar function is also present), and through special software, for example, SpeedFan. The advantage of the utility is the ability to control the speed of the fans installed on the GPU and display the temperature dynamics of key hardware components.
By manually changing the initial fan speed in increments of 5%, it can be either lowered if the device is abruptly humming without load and overheating, or raised when the CPU temperature is close to critical or simply increased.
Fig. 1 Adjusting the cooler speed in SpeedFan
Unfortunately, the application is rarely updated, which may not be supported by some new products on the portable computer market, and is also not compatible with a small percentage of computers due to the specificity of their hardware shell.
Controlling the speed of rotation of the cooler in BIOS / UEFI is no less simple, but in each version of the firmware for each manufacturer this parameter can be called differently and can be found in different submenus. An operating manual or quick wits will help here.
Blowing the cooling system
If the first option does not solve the problem, or rather, it is caused by dust and small specks adhering to the cooler blades and the radiator grid, then we turn to the option with purging the cooling system. This is done in several cases:
- when the device is still under warranty, and it is not advisable to annul it by disassembling the case for cleaning;
- the user does not have the skills to disassemble laptops or is afraid to do this, and going to the service center is not a way out.
We take out the device with a spray can or vacuum cleaner on the balcony or in another room, which will not be a pity to stain with dust. This should be done in calm, dry weather, if the procedure is carried out on an unglazed balcony or in the yard. After several purges with a jet of air, the laptop can be turned on and tested.
It happens that blowing does not bring almost any benefit, or a few months after it, the laptop starts to buzz just as much. Then it will have to be untwisted and thoroughly cleaned as the cooling system itself, and get rid of dust under the back cover of the case.
How to quickly and easily clean a laptop from dust with a vacuum cleaner?
Consider a household easy way to clean a laptop with a vacuum cleaner, so to speak at home. Also consider why it is important to clean the laptop and how to determine whether it is worth cleaning.
This should be done when you are sure that you can successfully disassemble the laptop case without breaking its mounts, carefully follow all the recommendations below, and disassembling the case will not invalidate the warranty (it has already expired). To remove small particles of dust you will need:
- screwdriver for unscrewing bolts;
- preferably a set for opening laptops and other equipment (in case of its absence, you can use improvised tools);
- a pair of napkins, a piece of cloth, cotton buds or the like;
- a vacuum cleaner, compressed air cylinder or hair dryer (optional).
The steps for removing dust will be as follows.
- Disconnect the laptop from the network and remove the battery from it.
Fig. 2 – remove the battery
- Disconnect all wires and external devices.
- Unscrew the bolts of the back cover.
Tip. You should be careful here: the bolts can be under stickers, rubber legs.
Fig. 3 – Remove the back cover
- We remove the entire back cover or its segment where the processor with the entire cooling system is located.
Fig. 4 – remove dust from the blades
Fig. 5 – Remove the cooling system
- We carefully assemble the laptop, performing all the steps in the reverse order.
In the place of contact of the radiator with the surface of the processor, a special substance is applied – thermal grease – with high thermal conductivity. It removes excess heat from the CPU to the radiator, and it is already cooled by a fan by removing hot air outside the case. Thermal grease over time loses its properties and copes worse with the functions laid on it, and it has to be replaced.
You can do it yourself.
- As in the case of dust removal, we disassemble the laptop, letting it work for a while or heating the processor area with a hairdryer, so that the thermal grease becomes more viscous.
- We remove the cooler and carefully disconnect the heatsink from the processor, if necessary, heating the place of their contact.
Fig. 6 – remove the cooling
- Carefully clean the contact pad from the remnants of thermal paste.
Fig. 7 – Removal of thermal paste residues
- Degrease the surface with an alcohol-containing substance (cologne) and let them dry completely.
- Apply a thin layer of new paste from the tube, using a syringe or plastic / cardboard.
Fig. 8 – Application of thermal paste
- We put back the radiator with a cooler.
- Putting the case back.
The likelihood that the problem will be completely eliminated is small, but periodic replacement of thermal paste once a year or two years is necessary.
How to replace thermal paste of the processor and video card on a laptop?
If you are interested in how to replace thermal paste of the processor and video card on a laptop. then this video is for you. In it, I, briefly, bypassing the obvious and understandable stages for everyone, explained how to do this after disassembling the laptop.
Fan repair / replacement
The last thing that can help the user is to replace or restore the cooler. Over time, ball bearings may wear out or the grease in which they move may be exhausted. Try to remove the back cover of the case in order to get to the cooler, and drip a thick lubricating fluid: solid oil or lithol in its center (usually you have to peel off the sticker). If this does not help, the acquisition of and installation of a new cooler will be a possible development scenario. The need for its replacement may indicate:
- the grinding of a fan throughout its entire life;
- the cooler does not rotate at the slightest touch with his finger;
- the device is loose or loose.
And finally, the recommendation: to improve the cooling of the laptop, you can buy a special stand table with an integrated cooler, which will not only make the work more convenient, but will also blow cold air from the bottom of the case.
Is the laptop warming, slowing down and turning off? How to disassemble and clean the laptop from dust?
In this video, we talk about why the laptop overheats, starts to slow down and generally turns off. The whole problem is one – the cooling system is clogged with dust. From this, the laptop is very hot, that is, its processor and video card, and so that there is no malfunction, the processor and video cards lower the frequencies so as not to warm even more. And, of course, here we tell how to clean the laptop, change the thermal grease, and in general how to disassemble it.