I think many of you have been in a situation where there is an ordinary PC or laptop nearby, but there are no Internet access points on it. And access to the network is very necessary precisely from the computer. If you have your own iPhone, then it will help you solve this problem using the modem function.
In this article we’ll talk about how to enable modem mode, if you have it in the settings. There are still such cases when this item is simply hidden in the menu, and if you have a similar case, then you will learn how to return this setting. The only thing you need is access to the network on your iPhone (preferably unlimited, since you just won’t notice how you will go into a huge minus on the balance).
Table of Contents
How to enable modem mode on iPhone
To do this, follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings.
- Click “Cellular communication” and here are two options for the development of events: you see the item “Modem mode” or it is not there, but we’ll talk about this later.
- Go to the "Cellular Data Network." It often happens that this setting is at the very bottom, so scroll down to the very bottom. Then you will see the empty fields “Name, Password APN”. You must enter any username (this will be quite enough).
- Now in the settings the active “Modem Mode” will already appear. If it is in an inactive state, then re-enter the “Cellular communication” item and turn on the modem.
- “Modem mode” is turned on and it remains only to connect to it through another device and use the Internet.
Function setting via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB
Apple developers took care of their users in advance and made it possible to distribute access to the World Wide Web via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB, which is quite convenient and easy. Let’s look at each of the methods in more detail.
Connecting “Modem Mode” via USB
If you have Windows 7 or older or Ubuntu installed on your computer, then you can easily configure your iPhone as a modem via USB, just follow the instructions below:
- Connect the phone through the cable to the computer and you will usually see a window with a choice of programs to run. Just close it, because it does not matter for the Internet settings.
- Go to "Settings" and go into modem mode, there you will see the item "Shared USB-modem". After turning it on, your computer is in the mode of sharing access to the Internet.
- To disable this mode, simply disable the “USB Shared Modem” function on the phone and disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
Connecting “Modem Mode” via Bluetooth
Apple technology is also able to support access to the network via Bluetooth, and to configure such a connection, follow the instructions:
- Connect your phone and computer via Bluetooth.
- Set up an Internet connection via Bluetooth on the computer (how to configure it correctly depends on the model of the computer, therefore it is better to refer to the instructions that come with the computer for this information).
- Go to the Settings menu on your phone and turn on Modem Mode.
- Turn on the USB Shared Modem feature. Your phone and computer are now in shared mode.
Connecting “Modem Mode” via Wi-Fi
It is very easy to make your phone distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi, and you will see for yourself now. To do this, follow the instructions:
- Open "Settings" and go to the "Modem Mode" menu.
- Find the Wi-fi hotspot function and activate it. Now the phone will be able to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi to which up to eight users can simultaneously connect.
- To disable the distribution of Internet access, do everything in reverse order only.
In modem mode, when you connect another device to you, the status bar changes color to blue and displays the number of connected devices, which makes it easy to monitor the status of the Internet distribution.
It should also be remembered that when distributing access to a network via Wi-Fi, only a cellular data network will work.
As you can see, there are many ways to distribute the Internet through your phone. Each method works the same and does not require additional knowledge. Everything is set up quickly, and in a couple of minutes you can turn your iPhone into an Internet access point.